Follow Us

Call Darren DeLuca


RE/MAX Mid-Island Realty


First Nation Gains Part Ownership of TFL 44

May 4, 2021 | Port Alberni News

TFL 4 Western Forest Products

Huu-ay-aht First Nations acquire another portion of TFL 44

Huu-ay-aht First Nations has closed a deal with Western Forest Products that will give the nation additional ownership of a tree farm licence located on Huu-ay-aht traditional territory.

With this new transaction of 28%, Huumiis now owns a 35 percent ownership interest in TFL 44, with Western Forest Products owning the remaining 65 percent.

Huu-ay-aht and WFP signed a reconciliation protocol in 2018, looking for opportunities to balance protection of the environment and growth of the economy while allowing Huu-ay-aht to have increased participation in TFL 44. After this protocol was signed, Huu-ay-aht formed a special investment body (Huumiis Ventures) and acquired a seven percent interest in TFL 44.

In March of 2020, Huumiis announced it’s plan to work towards a majority interest (51 percent) in TFL 44, subject to approval from Huu-ay-aht citizens and the provincial government. The deal on May 4 is another step towards this majority ownership.

The new partnership includes a framework for opportunities for increased participation of area First Nations through tenure ownership, training and employment, business opportunities, sustained domestic manufacturing, integrated resource management planning, effective marketing and value-added product innovation.

Read the full story:  Alberni Valley News


Interested in Park Ridge at Anderson Hill?